Wednesday 9 November 2011

The (Alien) Nativity

Yesterday one of my good friends emailed me to remind me that it is already the season to fatten the goose. Christmas will soon be upon us again. Her email was entitled The Advent of the Alien. It was intruiging.

It transpires that in order to fulfill the scholastic goal of giving every child in the Infants a role in the School Nativity Play, her daughter had been cast as an Alien visiting The Baby Cheeses. I am aware that his fame has spread far and wide (viz. The 3 Wise Men), but Aliens? Seriously?

I then re-ran my own chequered Nativity Play history in my head, vividly recalling the time I escaped school and ran for home on the day I was due to take the lead role. I remembered the year I upstaged everyone else as the little boy who knows "a man who can" in "Joseph". I am still scarred by the memory of the year I was consigned to "Tree 4" at the back of the stage. But an Alien? Seriously?

Today, as I collected Lastborn from school she pressed a plastic wallet into my hand. Inside was a wodge of papers with "Narrator 4" on the top. This is her role for the Infant Nativity Play at our school. A much more traditional way to ensure that everyone gets to say at least one line. And no need for a green papier maché costume, thankfully.

What are yours going to be this year?

2 comments:

  1. Ah, the deep, deep joy of being Jewish & not having to worry about Nativity plays or any of the traditional hostilities ... errr ... FESTIVITIES. But life's still not easy ... at Josh's school, ever since the advent of ex alumna, Stacy Solomon, we have to have the bluddy KS Factor, don't we? And the pursuant tears when boy with broken voice doesn't get in. Oh heck. Or ... in the vernacular ... Oy Vey! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never been called on for an alien costume. We've done Joseph, divers wise men, several narrators and an angel (which did NOT go down well). :)

    ReplyDelete